Imagine a future where the Goucher community works with each other to foster relationships through a social network that focuses on the community rather than your data.
Imagine a social network that respects your privacy and your data rather than selling it to other advertisers.
Imagine connecting with the Goucher community in a more intimate way.
Imagine a network owned and maintained by Goucher rather than a shady third-party company.
Now you don't need to imagine, because the solution is here: Gopherdon.
What is Gopherdon?
The Gopherdon app, designed from Hyperspace
Gopherdon is a decentralized social network built off of Mastodon that's dedicated to the Goucher community. Gopherdon is currently student-led, student-run, and we hope to keep it that way. It currently has all of the primary features of a given network and continues to grow as Mastodon does:
- Image and video uploads
- Favoriting and reblogging posts (we call these boosts)
- Direct messaging, followers-only posts, and public posts
- Polls and "hidden" content
Gopherdon also comes with its own official apps available on the web, desktop, and iOS/Android (soon). And, because Gopherdon is Mastodon-based, it works with any existing app for Mastodon and the fediverse, including Toot!, Mast, Hyperspace, Halcyon, and Pinafore.
Why choose Gopherdon?
- Gopherdon will forever be student-led and student-run, from moderation levels down to source code of the apps.
- Gopherdon is a network designed around Goucher for Goucher. It isn't purchased from or controlled by another company, meaning that Goucher owns all of the data.
- Gopherdon respects your privacy at all levels. No one will track your data or sell you advertisements.
- Gopherdon is forever free and open-source software, meaning any student can make their own Gopherdon app to use or contribute back.
See also: `Gophers and Elephants: A Mastodon-supported Goucher Community?
Meet the team
Special thanks to these amazing people:
- Prof. Tom Kelliher and the Goucher IT department for helping set up Gopherdon
- Eugen Rochko for developing Mastodon
- Our initial private beta testers for trying out and supporting Gopherdon
We appreciate your support in creating a better social network for Goucher!